Thursday, October 8, 2009

Eye Opener-Ecological Footprint

An Ecological footprint is a measurement of how many planet Earths are needed to meet the human demand. Its designed to calculate the Earth's ecological capacity to regenerate. It does this by measuring a variety of things such as house size, garbage usage, gas mileage, car pooling, use of processed goods and other things that make an impact on the environment. I took the quiz thinking I was not going to say I need more than one earth, but it surprised me when it told me that there would need to be 5.7 Earths if everyone lived a similar lifestyle to me. I use a lot of garbage, and I do buy quite a few processed foods. I also drive a lot, even if its not that far. I really want to make a change, and I think it can be done, I just need to work at it! I also need 25.2 acres of the Earth's productive area. My house at home has 40 acres surrounding it, and I haven't seen most of it so I was confused by this area. I am thinking it means that with my garbage and buying of processed foods makes me need that area. Changes need to be made in my lifestyle, I want the Earth to be a healthy happy atmosphere for everyone that follows.
Take the quiz yourself! Theres a lot of eye opening ones. Take the quiz here

3 comments:

  1. I took the quiz too. It was definitely an eye opener and made me realize I need to change a few of my daily routines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also shocked at my results! Who knew we used so much energy in the things we do? It's so crazy to think about people who use more than us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the same comments as you about the quiz! Very bizarre and a good eye opener! ;-)

    ReplyDelete